Office 365 comes with a subscription license for Microsoft Office Desktop Software
Users are able to download and install the latest version of Microsoft Office through the Office 365 portal on their personal and home computers or mobile devices such as tablets or smart phones. This desktop version of Microsoft Office is activated using a subscription license that is tied to your University of Guelph Office 365 account. This subscription license is provided to all users for no charge as long as they are affiliated with the University. Unfortunately, when you leave the University and your account is locked or deleted, you will no longer be able to continue using this version of Microsoft Office and your ability to use the desktop software will be reduced. In order to continue using the desktop Microsoft Office software after you no longer have a valid subscription through the University, you will need to purchase a personal Office 365 subscription from Microsoft with a separate Microsoft account - not your U of G Gryphmail account. There are five downloads allowed per PC, Mac and mobile device. That's right! 15 downloads!
- Please make sure your device's Operating System is up to date to ensure better program compatibility.
For Windows devices, please use this guide to check for Windows updates: Get the latest Windows update
For Mac devices, please use this guide to check for MacOS updates: Update MacOS on Mac
- Please uninstall any existing versions of the Microsoft Office Suite or standalone Microsoft Office programs that are also included in the Office Suite (i.e. individual copies of Word, Excel, Teams, OneDrive, etc.) your device may already have installed. This is to avoid conflictions with the University-provided Office Suite installation. Make sure to restart your machine after uninstalling any software.
For Windows devices, please use this guide to uninstall any copies of the Office Suite: Uninstall Office from a PC
For Windows devices, please use this guide to uninstall any standalone copies of Microsoft Office apps included in the Office Suite: Uninstall or remove apps and programs
For Mac devices, please use this guide to uninstall any copies of the Office Suite and standalone copies of Microsoft Office apps: Uninstall Office for Mac
How to Install Microsoft Office Desktop Applications
For instructions on how to install Office, please have a look at our How to Install Office video for guidance or follow the step-by-step guide below.
- If you're not already there, open up the Outlook Web App in your web browser by going to https://mail.uoguelph.ca. This will direct you to a Single Sign-On page where you log in with your Central Login ID and password. If you're already logged in, you will go directly to the Outlook Web App.
- In the Outlook Web app, click on the waffle icon in the top left corner of your window.
In the new menu that appears, click "Office 365 ->" (or "Office ->").
- This will take you to the University of Guelph's Office 365 Portal. Click "Install Office", then click "Office 365 apps" from the drop down menu that appears.
- On the window that pops up, follow the directions. Alternatively, you can also find the Office installer EXE file in your browser's default download folder (i.e. in Downloads).
- If you're using Chrome, go to the download on the bottom left of the page, click on it, and choose Open
- In Microsoft Edge/IE, choose Save and then Run
- If asked to allow the app to make changes, choose Yes. Let Office setup begin.
- On a Mac, open Microsoft Office_2016_Installer.pkg.