Sponsored Users

If you have a significant affiliation with the University you may be entitled to a sponsored account. This account will give you access to a central login account and to an email address. Sponsored accounts do not have access to all services on campus such as the Software Distribution site, Courselink or to Library Services.

In order to identify academic visitors on campus, all sponsored accounts for individuals with an academic appointment or affiliation to the University of Guelph will require a Non Paid Appointment, including an employee number. Visit the page for Vice-President Academic for information on how to set up a visitor's appointment and then choose the link to download the Form for Visiting Academics document on the right hand side of this page. This status must be requested from Human Resources prior to filling in the Sponsored Account application.

Please note that sponsored accounts are not automatically loaded into U of G Alert, the University's Emergency Notification System. Users of sponsored accounts also need to be informed in the event of an emergency on campus. There are two ways sponsored account users can remain informed: 

Obtaining an Account

You must complete an online application form (instructions are provided on the form.) Accounts can be sponsored by the Chair, Dean, Director or a manager of the department or college.

The form can be submitted from any computer with a web browser and an internet connection. After a form is completed, the submitter will receive an email that the request has been received along with the details submitted. Once it has been created, the account information will be sent to the submitter via email.

Depending on the time of year, it may take up to 5 business days to issue the account.

Account Deletion

Sponsored accounts are owned by the sponsoring department and can be terminated at any time by that department. 

If the sponsorship is ended, the Central Login Account, email address and all related files are removed from CCS servers.

For additional computing support, you can access a variety of resources such as the IT Help Desk on the first floor of the McLaughlin Library and the CCS Help Centre.


Requests to convert any existing account (including but not limited to staff, ex-staff, and retiree accounts) to a sponsored account require explicit approval from the appropriate VP or designate. In accordance with the Acceptable Use Policy, in cases related to staff accounts approval is required from the Director of Staff Relations. 

© 2005 - 2024 ProProfs