How to Install and License ArcGIS Desktop 10.8 Student Edition
1. Download and unzip the .zip file from our Software Distribution site.
2. Navigate to the unzipped folder and run the .exe file ("ArcGIS_Desktop...").
3. In the window that appears, choose a location to extract the installation files to (this is not the final installation folder for ArcGIS - only for the files needed to install the program), then click Next.
4. Once the installation files have been extracted, keep "Launch the setup program" enabled and click Close.
5. Click Yes at the User Account Control pop-up to launch the installer.
1. When the ArcGIS Setup window appears, click Next.
2. Accept the Master Agreement, then click Yes.
3. Leave Installation Type set to Complete, then click Next.
4. Choose a folder to install ArcGIS into, then click Next.
5. Choose a folder to install Python into, then click Next.
6. Select or deselect the checkbox for participating in the Esri User Experience Improvement program, then select Install. If you are unsure about participating in the program, please reach out to the Library for clarification.
7. Once ArcGIS has installed, click Finish to open the Administrator Wizard.
Authorization / Licensing
1. In the Administrator Wizard window that opens, select Advanced (ArcInfo) Single Use, then click Authorize Now.
2. Select "I have received an authorization file and am now ready to finish the authorization process", then click Browse and navigate to the unzipped folder from Unpacking step 2.
3. Select and Open the .prvc authorization file in the unzipped folder (EducationSiteArgGISDesktop_SingleUse ...), then click Next.
4. Leave "Authorize with Esri now using the internet" toggled, then click Next.
5. Delete the pre-filled Authorization Information text boxes and fill them out (only the required information is needed - Department, Address 2, and Comment can be left blank), then click Next.
6. Enter the appropriate Authorization information for Organization, Industry, and Yourself (i.e. Education-Student, Higher Education, Student, respectively), then click Next.
7. Click Next at the Software Authorization Number window - this should be auto-filled.
8. Click "I do not want to authorize any extensions at this time", then click Next.
9. Click Next at the Evaluate Software Extensions window.
10. Click OK at the ArcGIS Configuration Information window to finish the installation!
If you have any questions or issues with the installation / licensing for ArcGIS, please reach out to the Help Centre at IThelp@uoguelph.ca or 519-824-4120 ext. 58888. Please include the following in your message:
- device details - personal vs. University-supplied device, operating system
- the step in this guide that you are having an issue with (if applicable)